Samsung EV Charging Stations from IoTecha & Samsung
Not surprising to see Samsung hooking up with Iotecha for EV charging stations. And several Samsung partners have signed up as well.
Synopsis – What you need to know
- Big market for large format outdoor displays and Samsung. You can see dual sided 55s being used in Volta/Peerless-AV.
- IoTecha’s Level 2 AC Charger is the most advanced level 2 EVSE on the market. This EVSE provides up to 19.2kW of charging power at 80A. It supports ISO 15118 High-Level Communications with the EV as well as OCPP 1.6+ to implement both Plug and Charge and Smart Charging over a variety of connectivity options (LAN, Wi-Fi, LTE, etc). This charger has an extensive track record of successful interoperability with many electric vehicle manufacturers and charge point operators.
- Level 2 charging typically uses 240v power and (typically) around 16 to 30 Amps to get the job done. With this method, a Tesla Model 3 can be charged from empty to full in 6 to 8 hours. The time variation reflects differences between chargers and the electrical interfaces that can be used for Level 2 chargers. To use Level 2 charging at home, you will have to spend some money! This can vary from a modest outlay (say, $200) to significantly more (say, $2000), depending on the type of charger you decide to purchase. The two key types of Level 2 chargers are ‘hardwired’ and ‘plug-in’.
- Someone like Electrify America starts at 150kW (ultra fast DC) and now offers 350 kW Hyper Charging.
- Hyper is 20 miles per minute of charging (350 kw). Ultra is 9 miles a minute (150 kW).
- By contrast Iotecha is 1.2 miles per minute of charging
- Summary of charging types (Level 1 versus Level 2 for example)
- Best thing about this is the immediate entry into the EV charging station market by Samsung with ready-made white label solution
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. and IoTecha Corp. announce a strategic collaboration to introduce a new range of electric vehicle charging stations that combine Samsung’s best-of-breed display and signage solutions with IoTecha’s industry-leading EV charging technology. The resulting platform is expected to open up new driver and customer experiences for a wide range of commercial customers, including retail and hospitality, and enable innovative business models and revenue streams for digital signage and EV charging network providers.
Samsung and IoTecha have created a comprehensive EV charging kiosk solution featuring Samsung’s OH series touch screens and IoTecha’s Level 2 charging components. The integration of hardware and software addresses key challenges affecting deployment of both EV charging and digital signage infrastructure, from cost and complexity of equipment, installation, and operation, to remote monitoring, management, and maintenance.
“We believe that together, Samsung and IoTecha provide a cost-effective platform delivering fast and smart EV charging service and integrated in kiosks that bring visually dynamic interfaces with services, including Iotecha’s IoT.ON™ and Samsung’s MagicInfo with programmatic advertising,” said Kim Sarubbi, VP of Media at IoTecha Corp., and speaker at the upcoming Samsung VX event. “IoTecha’s proven track record, built on standards with proven capabilities, combined with Samsung’s technologies, is believed to be the solution infrastructure providers and end customers need to accelerate their electrification goals and differentiate their charging and digital signage offer as EV adoption accelerates.”
IoTecha provides hardware, software and cloud services for turnkey installation of a fully customizable EV charging infrastructure. IoTecha’s level 2 chargers deliver fast charging (up to 19.2kW at 80A), offer versatile and reliable networking options, and implement standard-based and interoperable high-level communications. Built-in support for IEC/ISO 15118 and OCPP 1.6 enables advanced driver experiences and innovative services such as Plug and Charge, Smart Charging and bi-directional power flow. Native connectivity to IoTecha’s IoT.ON™ Cloud and Edge services allows customers to reduce the total cost of ownership of their charging infrastructure. Installations can be remotely monitored, configured, and updated resulting in reduced maintenance costs and improved customer service. IoTecha’s topology-aware energy management allows the creation of highly customized optimization algorithms to meet the operational needs of site hosts and facility managers while minimizing electricity costs.
“We believe that Samsung and IoTecha’s business models and technologies combine perfectly to rapidly bring to market a brand new, visual, engaging and optimized EV charging experience,” said Chris Mertens, Vice President of US Sales, Samsung Display Division. “Samsung and IoTecha are looking forward to delivering highly customized services and content that meet and exceed customer requirements and unlocking new revenue streams for both site hosts and service providers.”
Complete kiosks can be highly customizable for white-label branding to match retail, hospitality, business, and other commercial area deployments that feature printed decals or wraps. Each unit supports Plug and Charging services and interactive displays for programmatic advertising, customer information, service offers, personalized messages, and more.
Units can be fitted with Samsung’s OH series ultra-thin 1080p (Full HD) 1920 x 1080 display screens for reliable performance in any environment. UL-verified Magic Protection Glass screens offer LED-backlit LCD display that are IK10-rated against impact and IP56-rated for extreme weather exposure. Anti-glare technology and brightness levels greater than 3,500nits provide crisp visibility with sensor-driven automated brightness reduction for efficiency. An integrated power box and four internal fans assure optimized electronics performance, supported by Samsung’s MagicINFO Player S6 and TIZEN operating system can be embedded for optimized display performance and accurate content management. For more information, please visit https://www.samsung.com/us/business/displays.
IoTecha’s IoT.ON™ platform aims to accelerate the electric vehicle revolution by providing an integrated platform consisting of software, hardware and cloud components for the smart charging infrastructure and power grid integration of electric vehicles of all kinds. IoTecha customers are energy and power companies, charge point operators, and manufacturers of both Electric Vehicles and EV charging stations. IoTecha products include V2G and HomePlug Protocol Analyzer, Combined Charging System on Module (and custom modules), EV charging stations and IoT.ON™ Cloud-based services. For more information, please visit https://www.iotecha.com.
- Tesla Cameras Are Coming From Samsung(Opens in a new browser tab)
- EV Charging Stations(Opens in a new browser tab)
- EV Hackers Are Now A Thing – Customer Data At Risk(Opens in a new browser tab)
- EV Charging Standards – ANSI Roadmap of Standards and Codes(Opens in a new browser tab)
- EV Charging Stations Being Added to IKEA(Opens in a new browser tab)