Wireless EV Charging News
From CleanTechnica Feb 2023 – By
Being able to charge your car while you are driving has a certain attraction for sure. It’s good to see a Republican governor supporting this technology and seeing how and where it works. Nice article by Tina Casey of CleanTechnica.
In Brief Summary
- From INDOT — “Roads that charge your electric vehicle while you drive?! Today’s INDOT Innovates feature is one of the first of its kind: a contactless wireless-charging concrete pavement highway segment,” INDOT tweeted on February 13. “This project just began in 2021, and is moving along quickly,” the agency added.
- Other deployments include Germany, Sweden and the PA Turnpike.
- The system is based on a new form of magnetized concrete developed by the German startup Magment GmbH.
- One key advantage is the elimination of in-ground copper wiring. Instead, Magment has come up with a concrete mixture that incorporates ferrite, a ceramic material with magnetic properties.
- Here is writeup on Sweden from 4 years ago
- Wireless EV Charging in Germany’s Autobahn got written up in December 2022
- Detroit Michigan Wireless EV Charging – Sep 2022